Search This Blog

Sunday 4 July 2010

MG F91: Legs and Waist


Today I'll talk about the legs and the waist of the MG F91. The opening pic was taken with my phone after the basic build was completed.


The Legs:

The legs on the F91 are pretty good. They're not too bad to build. They have a nice sleek kind of looks to them. My only qualm, is a piece which slips over the knee joint. It looks good, but it tends to move up a bit and limit the degree of articulation. These pictures should demonstrate it nicely
Straight out

Bends back nicely

Sometimes that piece will get in the way, but it's still good

Now, this is easily avoided; just be a little careful of the part when bending the knee. It's one of those things I thought I'd mention. You could also try to stiffen it so the part doesn't move about as much. Other than this, I found the legs to be very good. there's a piston for the front of the foot which you'll be able to see in the parts picture below.

All the parts needed to build a leg. I think the legs needed the most parts cleaned.

Front and side views of the completed legs

Parts of the soles should be red, but I'll just airbrush them red and then pick out the detail by hand. I think it'll be a bit easier that way ^ ^;;. The legs connect to the waist section by pegs inserted into the waist, which allows a great degree of possible wide legged poses. It can even do the splits. There are also small thrusters in the back of the legs which I forgot to show opened but you can see them quite clearly here.

The leg with armour removed.

The white pieces on the back of the leg cover the thrusters and they'll move up. Very snazzy.

On the whole, the legs of the MG F91 are a positive asset. One very small thing though... See the yellow vents on the ankle armour? In addition to being colour inaccurate, they tended to fall off my right leg, but not the left. It might be that I filed the piece a bit much when removing the nub, but it refuses to stay in place. Just thought I'd mention that. I'll be glueing it so it's no big deal.

The Waist:

Parts used in the waist section

 The waist goes together quite nicely. The most complicated part is beam launcher holder that you build into the back skirt. But that's it. I'll just mention that, like its ankle armour, the right side's yellow triangle keeps falling off. Another job for glue, I expect. There's not much to the waist, really. It is connected to the torso by a stiff ball joint whose ball is in the torso part. There's some painting required on the front and back skirts around the vents, but yet again, it's not a big deal. You could probably do it with a gundam marker if you wanted.

Front view of the waist; it looks pretty nice, just to pick out the vents
A side view, the side skirts really are quite long
rear view 

The waist is pretty compact like the rest of the kit, but I have no complaints. everything moves well and it was interesting to build. I particularly like the beam sabre holding mechanism in the left side skirt.

No complaints from me on the legs and waist of the kit. Next post I'll discuss the weapons and after that I'll try show my extra panel lines (which aren't the best I've ever done... : l)

Until next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment