Search This Blog

Saturday 3 July 2010

MG F91: Torso and Head



So, just a quick status report on my F91 gundam. I've finished the entire basic build and as of today have moved onto some of the painting but I'll share the build with you guys in portions^ ^.

The Torso:

So, lets get to it, in the opening pic, I have most of the runners laid out on my desk. I had lost the shoulder fin parts at the time and spent quite a while looking for them after I realised they were not in the above pic, of course, I realised they were missing when I was on the shoulders, but that's another story.

The torso on the F91 is fantastic. I really like it. I like how compact it is and love the look of the back.


Torso components.

I loved putting this part of the kit together. Everything fit together nicely. My only qualm was that one of the mounts for the V.S.B.R.s was too tight on its peg and split! It's okay though, I used plastic glue to fix it back together and filed down the peg a bit til it wasn't stressing the part out. Unfortunately, it's a bit TOO loose now. I just can't win, can I? Oh well, at least I can have both V.S.B.R.s mounted, just not all the way up^ ^.


completed torso front view

cockpit open, Seabrook Arno can be seen inside


a side view just to see how long this torso is.


and finally a backshot

Putting the armour on the torso was a little tricky in places, namely getting the blue portions to get together properly, but that was just me. I was pushing at a bit of an angle which meant it wasn't perfect. Not for everyone, but I love the look of the back. All the parts on here are colour correct and in something I really appreciated, the thrusters at the back were yellow plastic with a grey piece over it! These master grade kits spoil me, I swear.

The Head:

The head of the F91... I like its overall appearance. I mean, it's great. It's a bit tricky to put together as some of the parts are quite small (see VERY small) and care should be taken with the V-fin., but it looks good. There is one problem though.... The face.

It's no secret that the F91 MG has a feature where you can display the face mode like the film. This is a nice gimmick I can appreciate, however, it makes the whole head a little unlike-able. the helmet part comes off easily when you try and pose the head, which drives me crazy. and then the front mask section keeps flipping about and feels somewhat insecure. Lesson here? Don't mess with the head too much and you'll be okay.


The head components.


A bit blurry, but you can see the helmet and face are separate. 


The completed head 

As you can see, the head is quite small as are its parts. The squares on my cutting mat are all 1 cm square so that might give an idea of scale. I love the little details in the head and torso, it really is MG quality. After building three HGUC kits in a row I'm glad to work on a MG again. I will have to paint the head vulcans, but that's no bid deal. It's not all flowers and sunshine though, but I'll mention the nightmare of the arms in a future post.



I hope posting in this style will show you all the parts and how they look put together. I really have no major qualms with the head and torso, but be careful posing the head and you'll be fine^ ^.

Until next post! (which will be a bit later today. I'll be ranting about the arms.)

No comments:

Post a Comment